Friday, October 15, 2010

For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part

"I, Zombie Dude, take you, Zombie Gal, for my lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part".



To some, hearing these words with your name in the sentence is your deepest desire. To others they ring of an ominous commitment that seems impossible to uphold in this day and age. To those living under these commitments they are both a touchstone promise we share with our spouse as well as a high standard of sacrifice that is sobering to the most devoted couple.

Here in the zombie cave, my wife and I have had better, worse, rich, poor, sickness and health, sometimes all within a short period of time. Our life together has been an intensely humbling journey. In fact, without humility, this level of commitment is impossible. There is no room for ego when navigating the fragile waters of commitment and sacrifice in a world that is constantly telling us to be more self-centered. Part of this humility is simply admitting when we've messed up or where we're weak. I can't speak for other folks, but for me, this is not a natural response to relationships and life, particularly in crisis situations. My natural response seems to be a desire to fix the problem or put on the game face as a show of strength. Now, there are times, I believe, when I need to be strong for my wife and kids and take the initiative to get things done. But, that doesn't mean I'm immune to or not accountable for my failure or emotional insensitivity.

The song, "Sometimes it's enough" speaks to moments in a relationship where we just need to confess where we're at. My wife gets the credit for the line "sometimes it’s enough to say 'I love you'". In her graciousness, during a conversation where I was trying to prove my love to her based on my attempts to fix all the problems in our life, she spoke those words to me. Needless to say, the words were inspired and the effect was convicting.

Here are the lyrics:

By now we've lived some together
and you've learned to know my name
and in spite of one blind eye
and a life time second tries
you know I've tried to do the same.

Although the road still rises up to meet us
Day after day
Sometimes I still feel like I've failed you
then you stop me and say

Sometimes its enough to say "I love you"
Sometimes its enough to hold my hand
Sometimes in the night when the cold starts to bite
just cover me and say "I love you" again

Most times, I'm sure, you're walking on water
and I'm just sinking in the drink
Time after time I am reaching out for you to pull me up again
my fragile world is on the brink

Although the road still rises up to meet us
Day after day
Sometimes I still feel like I've failed you
then you stop me and say

Sometimes its enough to say "I love you"
Sometimes its enough to hold my hand
Sometimes in the night when the cold starts to bite
just cover me and say "I love you" again

Zombie out!

1 comment:

  1. I pray God will bring me a Godly husband who is as committed as you are to your wife. You rock!

    ReplyDelete