Monday, September 20, 2010

Fresh from the grave

hThis is the beginning of a new stretch of road for the creators of love songs for zombies. We are on the cusp of uploading our first You Tube video of a simple performance of a song, specifically, a love song. But before we do that, a moment to introduce this blog, this project and the reasons behind this new adventure.

This all really started a little more than a year ago. Oh, there were songs before then, even songs that sought to articulate the particular melancholy that this music emotes. But, in June of 2009, the art, the vision and the emotion became  internalized  when we experienced a personal event which showed us what it was to live as zombies.

You know, we live amongst zombies everyday. They are there with us, in the grocery store, in the office, the class room, in the church and on the street. They come from every walk of life, every ethnicity, every shape and size, every nation and every tongue. They are moving through life, animated, moving, seemingly alive. However, within them, where a beating heart should be, there is a hole. They appear to see, yet their eyes look through life as their minds are fixed on events and actions which are so basic they are primal.

Some zombies occasionally come up for air, breath, see, laugh, cry and live. Some never seem to.  These are not people who have necessarily made poor decisions or are suffering consequences of their actions. These are not people without responsibilities. In fact, the responsibilities and burdens many of these people face each day would make most people squeamish.

I'll write more about zombies and what happened to us at a later time. But for now, I'll leave it at this. Zombies are amongst us. They appear to move, but their lives stand still. They appear to breath, but they are holding their breathe. They appear to walk through life's experiences and routines but their mind is constantly fixed on survival. They love deeply and yet often love cannot be returned.

The songs we're writing are dedicated to these people; a silent, suffering mass of humanity who are constantly reaching for hope and life and light and who often only receive the faintest glimmer of encouragement. More often than not, these days, I count myself amongst them.

Danger Mouse, Sparkle Horse and David Lynch have created some amazing sound track music for pondering all things melancholy. Shameless promotion or intentional lifeline, you decide. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you keep moving . . . even at a zombie pace. I'm still here and excited about the project. It definitely a concept that I connect with on a very close level. I'm battling the urge to allow the zombie venom to control my nervous systems, but these glimmers of hope and life through your art have always been an inspiration to me. Fight the good fight . . .

    Oh, May I have a cup of BRAAAAIIINNNSSSS . .

    KG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a survivor of encephalitis and run an email support group for survivors and caregivers. I will be sharing this song with them. Encephalitis is a brain illness and a lot of us were in a coma, some close to being in a coma. Encephalitis wipes out your memories. This is the perfect song!!
    Ingrid/NYS
    HSE 12/95 (I was 45 years old)

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -- Ozzy Osbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, as always, thanks for the encouragement. I think we'll progressively expand the zombie cave to include more instruments in these performances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingrid, thank you so much for your comment and for sharing. I've just published a new post that talks about writing the song and how it relates to my daughter's bout with E.

    I love the Ozzy quote.

    ReplyDelete